If you liked the Supreme Court’s reinstatement of Habeas Corpus, vote Obama. McCain did not like it and will be in a position to appoint a justice who will vote with the four dissenters.
Bush dismissed the ruling as that of only 5 against 4. (Wasn’t that the margin that made him president in 2000?)
The US Constitution says, “The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.”
“The basic premise behind habeas corpus is that you cannot be held against your will without just cause. To put it another way, you cannot be jailed if there are no charges against you. If you are being held, and you demand it, the courts must issue a writ of habeas corpus, which forces those holding you to answer as to why. If there is no good or compelling reason, the court must set you free. It is important to note that of all the civil liberties we take for granted today as a part of the Bill of Rights, the importance of habeas corpus is illustrated by the fact that it was the sole liberty thought important enough to be included in the original text of the Constitution”
Robert Dreyfuss at The Nation on the conflict between Colin Kahl and Brian Katulis on the future of the US in Iraq. Kahl
‘proposes a policy called “conditional engagement” for Iraq that would leave a large contingent of American forces in Iraq for several years, and which would make America’s presence in Iraq contingent on political progress in Iraq toward reconciliation among the country’s ethnic and sectarian groups and parties.’
‘ to withdraw all U.S. forces from Iraq, except for a small force to protect the American embassy. Katulis’ CAP plan also suggests a halt in the U.S. training of Iraqi government forces, while Kahl and CNAS want to continue to train the Iraqi security forces long after U.S. combat forces are withdrawn.’
- A roadside bomb targeted the major general’s convoy Sameer Al-Waeli , the head of the social attention in the ministry of interior , near Beirut square in Palestine street neighborhood . Six people were injured including three guards.
- Gunmen threw a grenade on an army patrol in Safarat neighborhood (west Baghdad) . 6 soldiers were wounded.
- A roadside bomb targeted the Shaab’s mayor in Shaab neighborhood (east Baghdad). Five people were wounded including three guards.
- A controlled explosion by the Iraqi army took place for a roadside bomb which was found in Ghadeer neighborhood (east Baghdad) . No casualties reported.
- Three roadside bombs targeted a commandos’ patrol in Beirut square (east Baghdad). Nine commandos’ soldiers were injured.
- A bomb which was put inside a car detonated at the main street of the Muthana airport which houses the headquarters of Iraqi army and Dawa party. 3 people were killed and 15 were wounded (including one police commando killed and 12 others wounded) who were passing by when the explosion took place.
- Police found 4 dead bodies in Baghdad today : 3 were found in east Baghdad ( Risafa bank ); 1 in Zafaraniyah ,1 in Ur and 1 in Shaab. While 1 was found in Dora in Karkh bank.’
Michael Klare on the militarization of energy policy at Tomdispatch.com