Juan Cole is Richard P. Mitchell Collegiate Professor of History at the University of Michigan. For three decades, he has sought to put the relationship of the West and the Muslim world in historical context. His most recent book is Engaging the Muslim World (Palgrave Macmillan, March, 2009) and he also recently authored Napoleon’s Egypt: Invading the Middle East (Palgrave Macmillan, 2007). He has been a regular guest on PBS’s Lehrer News Hour, and has also appeared on ABC Nightly News, Nightline, the Today Show, Charlie Rose, Anderson Cooper 360, Countdown with Keith Olbermann, Rachel Maddow, the Colbert Report, Democracy Now! and many others. He has given many radio and press interviews. He has written widely about Egypt, Iran, Iraq, and South Asia. He has commented extensively on al-Qaeda and the Taliban, the Iraq War, the politics of Pakistan and Afghanistan, and Iranian domestic struggles and foreign affairs. He has a regular column at Truthdig. He continues to study and write about contemporary Islamic movements, whether mainstream or radical, whether Sunni and Salafi or Shi`ite. Cole commands Arabic, Persian and Urdu and reads some Turkish, knows both Middle Eastern and South Asian Islam. He lived in various parts of the Muslim world for nearly 10 years, and continues to travel widely there. A bibliography of his writings may be found here.
Welcome to Informed Comment, where I do my best to provide an independent and informed perspective on Middle Eastern and American politics.
Informed Comment is made possible by your support. If you value the information and essays, I make available and write here, please take a moment to contribute what you can.
Keep up with Informed Comment at:
Donate to Global Americana InstituteDonate to the Global Americana Institute to support the translation into Arabic of books about America.
Friends and Interlocutors:Josh Marshall | Truthdig| The Nation | DailyKos |Tomdispatch.com | Michael Hudson (MEI Singapore) | Kevin Drum (Mother Jones) | Mondoweiss | Salon.com | Think Progress | Helena Cobban | Huffingtonpost |Syria Comment | Marc Lynch | WashingtonNote | Stephen Walt | Kamil Pasha | Andrew Sullivan | George Packer | Glenn Greenwald | Read between the Lines. | Nir Rosen Napoleon's Egypt Blog
- Rafsanjani’s Exclusion from Iran’s Presidential Race a Sign of Creeping Totalitarianism
- Dear Oklahoma: We Feel for you, we love you, but do us some favors
- PBS and the Koch Brother Scandal (plus “Koch Brothers Exposed”)
- Israel, Syria, Trade Fire, Threats in Golan Heights
- Revenge of the Bear: Russia Strikes Back in Syria (Cole @ Truthdig)
- How America Became a Third World Country (Kramer & Comerford)
- America’s ‘Mission Accomplished’ Legacy to Iraq: Sectarian Violence Mounts with 95 Dead
- Russia’s Lavrov on Solving Syria through Diplomacy (Text of Interview)
- Dear Oklahoma: We Feel for you, we love you, but do us some favors (18)
- Israel, Syria, Trade Fire, Threats in Golan Heights (7)
- America’s ‘Mission Accomplished’ Legacy to Iraq: Sectarian Violence Mounts with 95 Dead (16)
- joe from Lowell: The actions of the Bush administration are inconsistent with this analysis. They made a major...
- PBS and the Koch Brother Scandal (plus “Koch Brothers Exposed”) (8)
- John Duffy: PBS has lost all my trust and all our nation’s trust. they took the 30 pieces of silver. To kill an...